Friday, July 20, 2012

I'm back!!! My labor and delivery of Clara!

Hey friends!

It has been WAY too long but I have been super busy! I know everyone has been curious about my L&D so here is the story!

On Friday, May 11th, I had a check-up with Dr. Horth. At the appointment she checked my cervix and dialation. I was dialated to a 3 and was fully effaced (my cervix was paper-thin). She thought I would be in that weekend and I was! She set me up with an appointment for Wednesday just in case I didn't go into labor before then, as she would be out of town the next weekend. After she checked me I began to have contractions that were more evenly spaced out. I had read about that happening after the doctor checks you but I still wasn't expecting it. The contractions were still 30 minutes or more appart. That night they were even closer together.

The next morning, Matt and I decided to go to Wichita Falls. We went to Wal-Mart, the mall, Cavendars and Hastings. By then my contractions were about 7 minutes appart. Matt began to worry and I suggested that we go and eat, because I knew that when we went to the hospital I wouldn't get any real food until after Clara was born. We went to Johnny Carino's and the whole time Matt was worried about my contractions which had started getting closer together (about 5 minutes). He looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested having dessert. After supper we went to Target to walk a bit more. When my contractions got to about 3-4 minutes appart Matt insisted calling and going to the hospital. We talked to the doctor on call and he agreed that we should come in.

When we got to the hospital, the nurse checked me into a temp room to check my vitals and my dialation and cervix. I was at 5cm dialated, my contractions were measuring father apart because I was laying down, and my water hadn't broken. Dr. Horth was called and she told them to admit me because I was far enough along and I lived out of town. After a few hours of being in the hospital I was still at a 5 and the nurse suggested that I walk. When I was walking my Daddy and step-mom, Judy, showed up! After walking a while and visiting with Daddy and Judy, I was still at a 5 and Dr. Horth recommended Pitocin. I was given the Pit through my IV and my contractions became more intense. Another few hours went by and I dozed for a while. Dr. Horth then came in and checked me again, this was about 8am Sunday morning and she decided to break my water. After my water was broken my contractions were so intense and painful that I broke down and got an epidural around 9:30 am. The epidural is a strange thing. I felt it as soon as it began to work. It was as if my bottom half of my body fell asleep. I had some feeling in my left leg still, tingly just like it had falled asleep and my right was numb although I could feel pressure. 30 minutes later I was feeling pain again. They came in and check my epidural and it was working fine and wasn't mispositioned so they gave me a little more of the medicine. It still didn't work.

At around 10:45 am I was given a pain shot and a couple minutes after that I felt the need to push. Dr. Horth came in after a few pushes and we got down to it! This was about 11am. After about 10 minutes of pushing, Clara was being stubborn and kept going back up so Dr. Horth suggested using the vacuum. The next contraction came and out she came! 11:13AM on May 13, 2012, I had a 7 pound, 8 ounce, 19-1/2 inch baby girl! She was born on Mother's Day and it was the best Mother's Day gift I could have ever asked for! Clara didn't cry as much as she should have because some of the pain medication I was given passed to her. She was monitored for 24 hours and when her vitals were all stable and she showed that she could breath on her own she came to our room. We left the hospital on Tuesday.

Just a little advice for first time mommies!

People asked what I recommend with regard to the pain medication and epidural. I think that if you can get through it without medicines then do it. I kind of regret the epidural because it didn't work for me. If you are asked, right before delivery, if you want a different medication for pain, don't get it. I didn't get to see Clara until a few hours later because she had to be monitored. She was also hooked up to all kinds of machines and it was scary even though I knew she was okay. I also recommend timing your contractions while you are sitting or lying down. Your contractions will slow down when you aren't walking and when you go to the hospital they measure your contractions while you are lying down.

Until next time friends,
God Bless!!!

No comments: